Go To Search
Fuel Programs
Low Income Home Energy Assistance  Program
The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is a federally funded program is designed to assist low income households. The amount of assistance is based on household size, income and energy costs.  A
pplications are submitted from August - April at various locations in York County.  To schedule an appointment, contact York County Community Action at (207) 324-5762 or make an appointment online

Kennebunk Emergency Heating Assistance Fund
This fund provides assistance to families who are ineligible for municipal General Assistance.  The Town may authorize one delivery of 100 gallons of heating fuel during the heating season.  An emergency request is considered at the discretion of the Administrator.  FMI c
ontact the Kennebunk Town Office at (207) 985-2102 ext. 1606.

Consumer Home Heating Rights
The Attorney General has issued rules that regulate the sale of home heating oil during the winter months from October 15 through April 30. One of the basic consumer rights detailed in these rules is that an oil dealer cannot refuse to deliver to a consumer even if the consumer owes the dealer money, providing these three conditions are met: 
    1) The consumer has cash or government guaranteed payment to pay for the oil being requested 
    2) The dealer regularly serves the consumer's area and 
    3) The consumer requests at least 20 gallons.
The entire set of rules can be viewed online

Emergency Crisis Intervention Program (ECIP)
The Emergency Crisis Intervention Program provides emergency financial assistance for home heating or utility disconnects if the household's heating system requires electricity to function. Consumers must have a pre-approved current LIHEAP application, have less than 1/8 tank of fuel with no available back up source of heat and have exhausted all payment opportunities with the electric company. For more information please contact York County Community Action's Energy Services at (207) 324-5762 and select option 8.

Central Heating Improvement Fund (CHIP)
Maine Housing Authority's Central Heating Improvement Program provides grants to repair or replace central heating systems that serve low-income households. CHIP funds may be used only to repair or replace dangerous, malfunctioning or inoperable heating systems that pose a threat to health and safety. The maximum grant for a heating system repair or replacement is $5,000 for owner-occupied homes. Limited CHIP benefits of up to $400 may be available for rental properties occupied by LIHEAP eligible tenants. Please call (207) 626-4600 for more information.

Efficiency Maine
Efficiency Maine offers PACE loans which allows a property owner to finance the cost of making a qualified whole house energy upgrade with eligible energy savings improvements to the property. FMI, please call (866) 376-2463.

Maine Housing Authority Home Repair Program
This program consists of a home repair grant, elderly hardship grant and septic repair/replacement loans. It provides help to low-income homeowners who cannot afford necessary home repairs. FMI, please call (207) 624-5745.

Rural Housing Repair
This assistance program provides loans and cash grants to very low-income families in Maine to improve, repair, modernize or to remove health or safety hazards in their homes. Please call (207) 990-9110 for further information.