Code Enforcement is a part of the Community Development Department and serves as a resource to the public, town departments, boards and committees. The primary role of the Code Enforcement office is to review and approve permit applications, conduct inspections, ensure Code and Ordinance compliance for the town, as well as provide various assistance to the general public. The Code Enforcement officers also act in the capacity of local plumbing inspector (LPI), Shoreland Zoning administrator, and Flood Plain Management administrator.
Ask a Code Officer/Request Information
To request information on a specific property, zoning requirements, subdividing property, etc. please complete this form. Due to the volume of requests, a response may take up to 10 business days. All requests are taken in order of when received and reviewed depending on availability of staff.
View Property Files
To best serve our customers and adhere to health and safety guidelines, appointments are recommended when possible to view property files located in the Community Development, Planning & Codes Department. Please call (207) 604-1303 or email to schedule an appointment.
Apply for Permits
The Code Enforcement office is now using permitting software through iWorQ to allow for online application and permit management information for building, electrical, plumbing and sign permits. Please have all application information and file uploads ready before submitting an application.
Visit the Customer Portal
View tutorial: How to Submit an Application using the Portal
View tutorial: How to use the Portal to Search for Existing Permits
- When is a Building Permit required?
- What codes are in effect in the Town of Kennebunk?
- How long is a permit valid?
- Do I need a permit to put a shed on my property?
- Do I need a permit for replacement windows and doors?
- When is a handrail required?
- What size does a bedroom egress window have to be?
- What are the stair riser and tread requirements?
- When is a guardrail required?
- How much frost protection should I have?
- What R-Values should I insulate to?
- What are the ventilation requirements for a crawl space?
- When is safety glazing required?