Vital Records

COVID-19/Coronavirus Notice

If you need certified copies of vital records from our office either mail, email or call us in advance with your request so we can have the documents prepared ahead of time to either give you in person when you arrive or mail to you. We appreciate your cooperation in advance. 

How do I obtain copies of vital records (birth certificates, death certificates, marriage certificates)? 

We do not prepare vital records in advance. We hold the original documents and will create certified copies upon your request. You can simply fill out the request form (PDF) and either mail it in with the necessary documents and payment, email it to us or bring it into our office to process. The fee associated with processing Vital Record(s) requests is as follows: if you request a single copy the fee is $15.00 but if you order several copies in one (1) request then the first copy is $15.00 and the additional copies will be $6.00 each. Checks payable to: Town of Kennebunk. 

  • Mail your request Town Clerk 1 Summer Street Kennebunk ME 04043; include the Request Form, Proof of Lineage, copy of your Photo ID and payment.
  • Email us -  Once we receive the request form via email, we will confirm we received it and are able to process your request. When you arrive to pick up your Certified Copies, you will need to sign the Request Form, show Proof of Lineage, show your Photo ID and have payment in the form of cash, check or credit card (fees apply). 
  • Come into our office in person - You can complete the request form in person and leave it with us. We try our best to process your request the same day. When you return to pick up your Certified Copies, you will need to sign the Request Form, show Proof of Lineage, show your Photo ID and have payment in the form of cash, check or credit card (fees apply).  

Who can obtain copies of birth, death, fetal death, marriage, divorce and domestic partnership records? 

By law, Maine birth records less than 75 years old, marriage records less than 50 years old, death records less than 25 years old and fetal deaths less than 50 years old are considered private. In order to inspect these documents or obtain copies, an individual must prove they are permitted by law to do so, Those authorized to view or obtain a copy of a vital record include:

  • The person named on the record,
  • The person’s spouse or registered domestic partner,
  • The parent(s) named on the record,
  • Descendants of the person named on the record (including children, grandchildren and great grandchildren to the most remote degree),
  • The legal custodian, guardian or authorized representative of the person named on the record and
  • Genealogists who have a researcher card issued by the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Data, Research and Vital Statistics.

Why do I need to present positive identification when requesting a record? 

While most requests for vital records are honest attempts to obtain one own’s personal identification, some are not. These documents can be used to obtain a driver’s license, state photo ID, social security card and passport under the assumed name, opening a credit card, bank account, etc... The requirement to provide positive identification to helps protect you and your family from these sorts of crimes. 

What are acceptable forms of identification? 

We will need to view a driver’s license, passport or other government issued photo identification.

What if I do not have an acceptable photo ID? If you do not have acceptable photo ID, you may present two items with your name on it from the following list: 

  • Utility Bill, Rental Agreement, Real Estate Tax Bill 
  • Bank Statement, Personal Check w/Address
  • Car registration
  • Copy of income tax return, Pay Stub, SSI Award Letter, Insurance Card
  • School or Employee Photo ID
  • Previously Issued Vital Record
  • DD214

How would a person demonstrate direct lineage? 

Acceptable proof of direct lineage could include a hospital or physician’s record of birth or death, a baptismal record, school enrollment records, military records, court records, family bible record, newspaper engagement, marriage or birth announcement, obituary, U.S. Census enumeration record, insurance application or an affidavit. 

How do I obtain a Genealogical Researcher ID Card? 

In order to obtain a Genealogical Researcher ID Card, you need to apply (PDF) through the State of Maine; Maine Center for Disease Control & Prevention, Data, Research & Vital Statistics.