Marriage Intentions / Marriage License

Where & When do I apply for a marriage license? 

  • Maine residents must apply in the town where they reside. Couples who maintain separate Maine residences, must apply in the community in which at least one of them resides. 
  • If one of the parties is a Maine resident, and the other resides out of state, the paperwork is filed in the Maine resident's Town.
  • Out of state residents may apply in any municipal office. 
  • The marriage license is valid for 90 days from the date the Intentions are filed and is valid anywhere within the State of Maine.
  • We will process marriage license requests Monday - Friday 8AM - 3:00PM 

How do I apply for a marriage license?

Step 1 - Intentions of Marriage 
The parties must complete the Intention of Marriage Forms no more than 90 days prior to the ceremony. The Intention of Marriage application is a legal document. You are responsible and liable for providing the information and documentation required. The paperwork must be completed in BLACK INK ONLY. Forms completed in any other color will not be accepted for filing.  The second page of the Intentions Form includes a signed certification that the information provided is correct and that the applicant is free to marry according to the laws of this State. Your signatures must be witnessed by the Clerk's Office Staff or by a Notary who will then officially Notarize the document (if submitting the application by mail). 
Step 2 - Previous Marriage(s)  If either party has been previously married, a certified copy of the death certificate or divorce decree of the last marriage must be submitted to the Town Clerk at the time of filing of the Marriage Intentions. Certified means that the documents are affixed with a raised or gold seal and/or contain original signatures. A record of divorce, if not in English, must be translated into English by a disinterested 3rd person at the parties' expense.

Step 3 - Filing Fee The filing fee is $40.00. Cash, checks and credit/debit cards are accepted forms of payment. Credit/debit card use will have an additional service charge applied.

Step 4 - Completion of Paperwork Within 7 days following the ceremony, the Officiate must return the completed (signed) license to the Clerk's Office to be filed by the Clerk. Certified Marriage Certificates can be purchased or a fee of $15 for the first and $6 for each additional copy when purchased at the same time once the completed license has been filed.

  1. Merton Brown

    Town Clerk
    Phone: (207) 604-1326

  2. Carrie Weeman

    Deputy Town Clerk
    Phone: (207) 604-1306

  3. Tabetha Barden

    Assistant Town Clerk
    Phone: (207) 604-1318

  4. Physical Address
    Kennebunk Town Hall, Second Floor
    1 Summer St.
    Kennebunk, ME 04043

    Mailing Address
    Town Clerk's Office; Kennebunk Town Hall
    1 Summer Street
    Kennebunk, ME 04043

    Phone: (207) 604-1326
    Fax: (207) 985-4609

Wedding Pic