Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
In an effort to improve our trash and recycling program, Kennebunk's Public Services department has partnered with our contracted provider Casella/Pine Tree Waste to help everyone better understand the program.
Over the last two weeks employees have conducted a review of residential trash and recycling and have identified several areas for improvement. Given recent changes to global trash and recycling programs, we need your help to ensure we are complying with new rules and standards.
These are the top 5 issues found:
1. Trash in containers is NOT in Town PAYT bags. All household trash must be contained inside a colored Town PAYT (Pay-As-You-Throw) trash bag, purchased for trash removal in Kennebunk, and cinched and tied closed. Town PAYT bags should not be used as liners in trash containers. The Town sells three different colored and sized bags (33, 18 and 8 gallon) trash placed inside these bags should not exceed weight and size limits of bags.
2. Recyclables are not rinsed clean and free of food and product waste.
3. Items that are not recyclable are found in Recycling container. Plastic bags, paper towels, tissues, etc. are some of the items that are not recyclable (see expanded list of items that can't be recycled (PDF)).
4. Recyclables are bagged in plastic bags and placed in recycling container. Items that can be recycled should be loose in the container. Please do NOT bag your recyclables in plastic bags. All recycling should be broken down and loose in bin or contained in a paper bag.
5. Town bag is not TIED closed. While household trash bags (white/black, etc.)may be placed inside a Town PAYT trash bag, the PAYT bag MUST be cinched and tied closed. Automated trash collection means that a driver will be checking for a Town PAYT bag through a camera inside the truck. If only household trash bags (white/black, etc.) are visible, it will not be picked up.