Tax Assistance

Local Property Tax Assistance 

Kennebunk residents who are homeowners or renters and age 62 or older and who qualify for the State of Maine's Property Tax Fairness Credit, may be eligible for a supplemental property tax credit from the Town. Applications are available at Town Hall and must be submitted by July 1st. Download an application (PDF) or view the Property Tax Assistance ordinance (PDF)

State of Maine Property Tax Fairness Credit 
(formerly the "Circuitbreaker Program") 

Eligible Maine taxpayers may receive a credit on the Maine individual income tax return (1040ME) whether they owe Maine income tax or not. If the credit exceeds the amount of individual income tax due for the tax year, the excess amount of credit will be refunded. For more information please visit Maine Revenue Services

Poverty Abatement Application

Taxpayers having difficulty paying their real estate taxes may apply for an abatement due to poverty or infirmity. Applications (PDF) are processed through the General Assistance office. Please call (207) 985-2102 ext. 1342 for more information or to schedule an appointment.

Tax Preparation Assistance

CA$H Maine offers free tax preparation to qualified filers during the tax season, and connects residents to financial education resources, including money management and homebuying workshops, Family Development Accounts (FDAs) and credit counseling.

CA$H Maine will prepare your taxes for free! Visit any CA$H Maine tax site to have your state and federal income taxes prepared and filed for free by IRS-certified volunteer tax preparers. CA$H offers no-cost tax preparation, and connects you to free and low-cost resources that can save you money, including information about how to fund higher education for you or your children.

If you can’t make it to a CA$H Maine tax site, you can still file your taxes for free. Visit the United Way and file your federal and state income taxes for free. If you have questions about this service or filing your taxes, call 1-855-698-9435.

  1. Social Services

    Physical Address
    Kennebunk Town Hall, Second Floor
    1 Summer St.
    Kennebunk, ME 04043

    Phone: (207) 985-2102, option 3
    Fax: (207) 985-4609

    Office Hours
    The Town Hall is open M-F, 8AM-4:30PM, and closed between 12:00PM-1:15PM. 
    Applications for General Assistance are taken by appointment only.