When is a permit required?
• Construction of alteration of any building or structure
• Installation of a swimming pool of any kind
• Demolition of a structure (Hazard determination may be required)
• Change in use or occupancy of any structure including time or function
• Buildings and structures moved into or within the Town of Kennebunk
• Interior alterations
• Installation of a sign or banner
• Fill, grade, lagoon, dredge or harvest of timber in any Shoreland or RP Zoning Districts
• Electrical work
• Plumbing work
• Properties located in the Historic Preservation District require a
Certificate of Appropriateness from the Historic Preservation Commission
prior to receiving a building permit.
• Piers, docks and wharves
• Chimney construction or modification

• Drive opening may require permits from one of the following:
1. On State roads (Routes 1, 35, 99 or 9) call Scarborough DOT office 207-883-5546
2. All others, call Town Public Works 207-985-2102 x 1372

The Code Enforcement Officer shall not act upon any application for building permit until all other permits which may be required by the Zoning Ordinance, and other local ordinances, or under State or Federal law regulations have been received.

Each application for a building permit shall include:
• a plot plan drawn to scale showing and stating the dimensions in feed of the lot;
• location and ground coverage of all buildings proposed to be erected, moved, or
demolished on such lot;
• show street(s), alleys or right of ways on or adjacent to the lot;
• wetlands and any other water bodies
• a statement of the use intended to be made of any buildings and the lot itself even
in event of demolition;
• Wastewater disposal system documentation i.e. Septic design or Sewer District
connection approval)

The Code Enforcement Officer will approve or deny applications for building permit within thirty (30) days from the date of filing a complete application. Our normal turn around time for permits is usually about two weeks.

Show All Answers

1. When is a permit required?
2. What codes are in effect in the Town of Kennebunk?
3. How long is a permit valid?
4. Do I need a permit to put a shed on my property?
5. Do I need a permit for replacement windows and doors?
6. When is a handrail required?
7. What size does a bedroom egress window have to be?
8. What are the stair riser and tread requirements?
9. When is a guardrail required?
10. How much frost protection should I have?
11. What R-Values should I insulate to?
12. What are the ventilation requirements for a crawl space?
13. When is safety glazing required?