Birth Certificates

Where are birth certificates filed? In the State of Maine, when the birth of a child occurs, the birth certificate is filed in the Town Clerk's Office where the birth happened and the Town Clerk's Office of the town of residence where the biological mother was living at the time of the child's birth. In addition, duplicate copies of each birth certificate is filed with the State of Maine's Office of Data, Research and Vital Statistics. 

Example: Biological mother lives in Kennebunk but had her baby delivered at Southern Maine Medical Center in Biddeford. The records will be held at the Town Clerk's Office in both Kennebunk and Biddeford and a duplicate copy will be filed with the Office of Data, Research and Vital Statistics. 

How do I obtain my child's birth certificate? 
We maintain the original records but do not keep Certified Copies of your records prepared in advance. When you are ready and want to request a birth certificate for your child, simply fill out the request form (PDF) and either mail it in with the necessary documents and payment or bring it to our office to process.